College juniors and seniors: Rhode Island PBS has a public relations + social media internship available for 10-12 hrs/wk. The internship is available for Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. (Extended hours are available for summer.) Please read the full description, below. To be considered, send a cover letter with your resume and a writing sample of 500-600 words to Lucie Raposo, email@example.com.
SOCIAL MEDIA COMMUNICATIONS AND PR INTERNSHIP (FALL | SPRING)
WSBE Rhode Island PBS is non-commercial public television station, operated by the Rhode Island PBS Foundation, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization.
WSBE Rhode Island PBS seeks an intern interested in learning about public relations, publicity and marketing communications at a public broadcasting station. The core focus of this internship is to learn and practice skills in engaging and growing audiences through program and event promotion on social media.
The intern will also be offered opportunities to observe and participate in various aspects of public relations, promotion, and publicity campaigns. It is essential that applicants to this position have excellent writing and communication skills, be creative, understand the importance of attending to details and following through, and understand the goals of social media in business.
College juniors or seniors majoring in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, or Marketing are invited to apply. Applicants must submit a résumé and cover letter, and at least one (1) writing sample (500 – 600 words each) that shows proficiency in writing, style and accuracy. This internship requires a minimum of 10–12 hours per week, and is offered for the Fall and Spring semesters. No compensation is offered, but work product may qualify for portfolio and academic credit, pending academic approval.
Under the supervision and support of the Public Information Manager, the intern will:
- on Facebook: research facts, photos, video links; compose and schedule posts
- on Twitter: research handles, hashtags, photos, video links; compose and schedule tweets
- monitor social media comments and posts, and report the activity
- research appropriate responses to social media visitors’ questions, and reply as directed
- help develop and execute social media campaigns to grow audiences
- help track and compile periodic statistical reports to measure effectiveness of campaign(s)
In addition, under the supervision and support of the Public Information Manager, the intern may:
- help research, write, proof, and distribute publicity materials, including news releases
- help plan and execute special events
- be invited to attend events to help staff as needed
- perform other relevant and essential tasks as requested
- Excellent writing (submit at least one 500-600 word writing sample with résumé and cover letter)
- Intermediate skill in Microsoft Word and Excel, familiar with Hootsuite (or similar platform) for Facebook and Twitter
- Preferred skill: Solid grasp of the purposes and best practices of social media in business
- Be organized, attentive to detail, have a professional demeanor, and be eager to learn
CONTACT: Ms. Lucie Raposo, Public Information Manager, email: firstname.lastname@example.org