Anti-Domestic Violence Groups are Suing Over the Trump Administration’s Grant Requirements

President Trump is seen here after signing a range of executive orders on Jan. 23.
President Trump is seen here after signing a range of executive orders on Jan. 23.
Anna Moneymaker
Share
President Trump is seen here after signing a range of executive orders on Jan. 23.
President Trump is seen here after signing a range of executive orders on Jan. 23.
Anna Moneymaker
Anti-Domestic Violence Groups are Suing Over the Trump Administration’s Grant Requirements
Copy

Seventeen statewide anti-domestic and sexual violence coalitions are suing President Donald Trump’s administration over requirements in grant applications that they don’t promote “gender ideology” or run diversity, equity and inclusion programs or prioritize people in the country illegally.

The groups say the requirements, which Trump ushered in with executive orders, put them in “an impossible position.”

If they don’t apply for federal money allocated under the Violence Against Women Act of 1994, they might not be able to provide rape crisis centers, battered women’s shelters and other programs to support victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. But if the groups do apply, they said in the lawsuit, they would have to make statements they called “antithetical to their core values” — and take on legal risk.

In the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Rhode Island on Monday, the coalitions said that agreeing to the terms of grants could open them to federal investigations and enforcement actions as well as lawsuits from private parties.

The groups suing include some from Democratic-controlled states, such as the California Partnership to End Domestic Violence, and in GOP-dominated ones, including the Idaho Coalition against Sexual and Domestic Violence.

The groups say the requirements are at odds with federal laws that require them not to discriminate based on gender identity, to aid underserved racial and ethnic groups, and to emphasize immigrants with some programs and not to discriminate based on legal status.

The U.S. Department of Justice, which is named as a defendant in the lawsuit, did not respond to a request for comment.

The suit is one of more than 200 filed since January to challenge President Donald Trump’s executive orders. There were similar claims in a suit over anti-DEI requirements in grants for groups that serve LGBTQ+ communities. A judge last week blocked the administration from enforcing those orders in context of those programs, for now.

This story was originally published by the Associated Press.

Senate Republicans say legislation goes too far. Some gun rights advocates say it doesn’t go far enough.
Talks resume with federal mediator and larger union presence amid mounting worker hardship, community support, and questions over hospital finances and real estate deal
After a brisk three-hour debate, lawmakers advanced a budget boosting health care funding and raising new taxes on vacation homes—while bracing for potential federal cuts that could send them back to the State House this fall
The new law would require districts to create a policy to ban student use of cell phones during the school day by August 2026
AG’s office to skip independent actuarial review this year to redeploy resources to other health care reform efforts